Great Western War XVIII
Oct 7-12, 2015
Pre-Registration and Land Allocation
will be open
April 1 through August 31, 2015.
Bonus Land for Early Pre-Registration
Early Pre-Registration is defined as Payment through the Mail Postmarked between April 1 and June 30, 2015. Paid registrations received or postmarked on or before June 30 will receive an additional bonus portion of land allocation. Adults will be allocated 350 square feet and Youths will be allocated 225 square feet as their total allocation for Early Registration. Payments received or postmarked between July 1 and August 31 will receive the standard allocations (250 square feet for adults and 125 square feet for youths).
What is Great Western War (GWW)?
Great Western War (GWW) is the major camping event in the Kingdom of Caid, SCA for Southern CA, Vegas NV, and Hawaii. The 16th GWW will to be held Oct 7-12, 2015. The event is held at Buena Vista Aquatic Recreational Area, 13601 Ironbark Rd, Taft, CA 93268. It is an easy drive over the hill (north of Los Angeles, over the grapevine I-5) to a lovely park where we have a large lakeside area all to ourselves.
Enjoy our wonderful site with green lawns, shade trees, lake breezes, and big blue skies at the Buena Vista Aquatic Recreational Area, 13601 Ironbark Rd, Taft, CA 93268. It is an easy drive over the hill to a lovely park where we have a large lakeside area all to ourselves.
Key Activities and Features
- Heavy Weapons (SCA Hard Suit) - fighting over several days: both large battles and tournaments; opportunities for archery and siege weapons
- Rapier (SCA Fencing) - fighting over several days: both large battles and tournaments
- Equestrian - activities over several days: games and challenges, staged "castle siege", and other activities
- Thrown Weapons (target only) - challenges and games
- Archery - both Battle and Target scenarios over several days (and some evenings)
- Hound Coursing (dog courses) - over several days
- Youth Combat - activities over several days: games and challenges
- Arts and Sciences - workshops and classes over several days: both hands-on and lecture series learning opportunities, including a track of classes especially for children and youths
- Rustic Camping (bring your own tents and/or pavilions) - some shade and lots of grass (no electricity)
- Shower Facilities - Shower trucks in more than one location on site, hot and cold water
- Camp Fires - Enjoy camp fires in raised containers (no fire on the ground, no digging)
- Grey Water - locations for you to haul and dump your washing water from camp (no dumping on ground)
- Toilet Facilities - both "stone privies" with flush toilets and running water sinks and porta-potties facilities located throughout site
- RV Parking - Dry RV parking lot reserved for camping trailers (no hookups)
- Merchants - Many shopping opportunities, both hard goods and food court
- Volunteering - Amazing oppportunities to get involved and help make the event happen
- Gorgeous Scenery - Fantastic views, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, wildlife enjoying the park lake (see lake policy)
Finding the Site
Great Western War is held at
Directions: (Approx 25 miles southwest of Bakersfield) From I-5 travel west on Taft Highway 119 (exit 244). [Go past the signs for "Buena Vista Recreational Area" -- Those signs will take you to the park "front" entrance, and you will have to back track and continue west on Hwy 119 to Golf Course Rd.] Turn left (east) on Golf Course Rd (5.1 miles). Turn left (east) on Ironbark Rd/Buena Vista Park. Proceed to the gate for check in. The GWW entrance will be located at the park's "back" entrance, not the main entrance off Highway 43.