Great Western War XVII
Oct 8-13, 2014
The theme for this year's Great Western War is
The Art and Pageantry of War.
Equine Pre-Registration has been extended to Sept 17, 2014.
After much consideration it has been agreed by the Equestrian Stewards and the KEO that All Horses MUST BE pre-registered with the EQMIC by Sept 17, 2014. If your horse(s) are not pre-registered, your horse will not be allowed onsite, no exceptions. (Human Pre-Reg is encouraged but not required.) ACCEPS (online payments) will NOT be extended beyond August 31, 2014. The extension applies to horses only, not people. Anything post-marked after September 17, 2014 will be returned to sender. Please contact the Equestrian Stewards or Main Stewards with any questions you may have.
Registration forms are found on the Equestrian page.
Pre-Registration and Land Allocation
April 1 through August 31, 2014.
What is Great Western War (GWW)?
Great Western War (GWW) is the major camping event in the Kingdom of Caid, SCA for Southern CA, Vegas NV, and Hawaii. The 16th GWW will to be held Oct 8-13, 2014. The event is held at Buena Vista Aquatic Recreational Area, 13601 Ironbark Rd, Taft, CA 93268. It is an easy drive over the hill (north of Los Angeles, over the grapevine I-5) to a lovely park where we have a large lakeside area all to ourselves.
Enjoy our wonderful site with green lawns, shade trees, lake breezes, and big blue skies at the Buena Vista Aquatic Recreational Area, 13601 Ironbark Rd, Taft, CA 93268. It is an easy drive over the hill to a lovely park where we have a large lakeside area all to ourselves.
Key Activities and Features
- Heavy Weapons (SCA Hard Suit) - fighting over several days: both large battles and tournaments; opportunities for archery and siege weapons
- Rapier (SCA Fencing) - fighting over several days: both large battles and tournaments
- Equestrian - activities over several days: games and challenges, staged "castle siege", and other activities
- Thrown Weapons (target only) - challenges and games
- Archery - both Battle and Target scenarios over several days (and some evenings)
- Hound Coursing (dog courses) - over several days
- Youth Combat - activities over several days: games and challenges
- Arts and Sciences - workshops and classes over several days: both hands-on and lecture series learning opportunities, including a track of classes especially for children and youths
- Rustic Camping (bring your own tents and/or pavilions) - some shade and lots of grass (no electricity)
- Shower Facilities - Shower trucks in more than one location on site, hot and cold water
- Camp Fires - Enjoy camp fires in raised containers (no fire on the ground, no digging)
- Grey Water - locations for you to haul and dump your washing water from camp (no dumping on ground)
- Toilet Facilities - both "stone privies" with flush toilets and running water sinks and porta-potties facilities located throughout site
- RV Parking - Dry RV parking lot reserved for camping trailers (no hookups)
- Merchants - Many shopping opportunities, both hard goods and food court
- Volunteering - Amazing oppportunities to get involved and help make the event happen
- Gorgeous Scenery - Fantastic views, gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, wildlife enjoying the park lake (see lake policy)
Finding the Site
Great Western War is held at
Directions: (Approx 25 miles southwest of Bakersfield) From I-5 travel west on Taft Highway 119 (exit 244). [Go past the signs for "Buena Vista Recreational Area" -- Those signs will take you to the park "front" entrance, and you will have to back track and continue west on Hwy 119 to Golf Course Rd.] Turn left (east) on Golf Course Rd (5.1 miles). Turn left (east) on Ironbark Rd/Buena Vista Park. Proceed to the gate for check in. The GWW entrance will be located at the park's "back" entrance, not the main entrance off Highway 43.